Monday 20 February 2012

Blessings


I’ve been continuing to study Respectable Sins, which I had begun to study with the ladies Bible study back in Telkwa. While I continue to read the pages I’m surprised at how many sins I’ve chosen to ignore in myself and feel compelled to make a better effort to change. One of the things I often forget to do is to give thanks, to remember where all good things come from and to thank God for the many blessings He has gifted us with. Some of the things that I’m especially thankful for right now include:
  •    Being in Swaziland, it felt like we’ve been waiting for this to happen since Arlyn made his first trip here last February and now finally a year later, we love being here
  •  I thought I was moving into a tent but block walls surround me;that feels so much safer and more comfortable to me. We’ve been especially grateful for the house recently when there have been heavy rains or thunder and lightening.
  •    We have electricity, most of the time, and can store cold drinks in the fridge and use a fan to help us sleep better.
  • Its been hot, extremely hot, but the recent rains have cooled things down 
  • I’ve begun volunteering at a children’s home and it seems to be a good fit; I wanted to work with kids and they needed some extra hands at the moment. 
  •  All of the children call me “Auntie Maria”, which reminds me of my nieces and nephews back in Canada! 
  • I get to work alongside two great Swazi women at the children’s preschool and I’m really enjoying my time with them.
  • Arlyn’s been learning to be even more patient with me; I get scared on the back of the motorbike when I think we’re moving too fast and I hate turning around corners when he has to lean into the corner but while I’m attempting to conquer my fear he’s being extra patient and understanding with me and even drives slower than he wants. 
  •   We got to spend a recent weekend with Dr. Barry Lester, an optometrist who works in Smithers near where Arlyn grew up. It was so wonderful to see a familiar face here and to show Dr. Lester where we’re living now, where Brian’s building and talk to him about what we’ve been up to here. We also got to visit him on Sunday in Siteki, the area where he was staying and working and it was wonderful to see another beautiful part of this country, meet some great people and be part of their house church. Dr Lester also spoiled us with a wonderful braai for lunch.
  • Arlyn’s taken a new interest in birds and so many beautiful ones here surround us, its fun to discover new ones that we haven’t seen before.
  •  We went to church yesterday and were surrounded by so many wonderfully welcoming people. It was great to meet them and to feel so welcomed. Listening to everyone sing was brilliant
  •  Arlyn used Valentine’s day as an excuse to spoil me and took me out on a wonderful date where we enjoyed swimming in the pool and a delicious dinner. 
  •  I am so grateful, we are so grateful, for all of you who have made it possible for us to be here. We’re so excited to see where God leads us here and how He’ll use us and we’re thankful and humbled that you are taking this leap of faith with us. 
  •  I don't understand why the font has changed but I'm thankful that this internet cafe is still open so at least we can post!


3 comments:

  1. Maria- I LOVE reading this! Love seeing what the Lord is doing in your lives...you are more than an encouragement to me. We all need to take time to be thankful. Your little house is just adorable, you will be in our prayers here daily.

    With love- The Eisenbart's

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to read your blog and hear what ya'll are up to. Ach! My heart aches to be there too. But trust the Lord's timing in our arrival. Great to hear about the house, definitely a prayer answered there. I didn't want to promise what wouldn't be provided, but I had a feeling Brian would have arranged something better than a tent for you. :) Keep writing!!! And we'll keep praying.
    Grace and Peace,
    Nicole Boehrig

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog, Maria! Thanks for taking the time to give us a glimpse into your life in Swaziland! I agree with Sara - your house is absolutely adorable. We are praying for both of you. Thanks for reminding me to take the time to be thankful. :)

    ReplyDelete