Monday 16 April 2012

Where Did March Go?

Yes, I realise it’s the middle of April, but I’m still curious as to where March went. Time just seems to be flying by, more so for me than for Arlyn though. March has come and gone quickly, here are just a few of our March highlights and lowlights:

March brought with it Tammie and Dan which was at the top of our list of high points.

The middle of March also brought some land issues, which has caused lows. There has been an issue with the previous owner of Brian’s land, where he has been building his house. A relation of the previous owner is trying to lay claims to the land so work on the house has been stopped. Brian has been going through the traditional channels, speaking with chiefs and community people, to try and resolve the problem. This issue is taking longer to sort out than we would like but we are trusting that God’s hand is in this situation and that He will use this issue for His own glory. We are trying to be patient and wait on God’s timing, which isn’t always easy, especially when Arlyn likes to be busy with work and we are thankful to have the support of the local community behind us. This is a time for us to learn more about how the Swazi culture works and for us to learn to be patient. We would appreciate your prayers for this situation; please be praying that the issue will be resolved soon so work can continue on Brian’s home.

Arlyn’s activities during his unexpected free time has included doing some mechanical projects on Brian’s vehicle and he has brushed up on his painting skills and done some repair work on a friend’s truck. He has also repaired a little quad bike for the children at the children’s home and he’s been trying to learn siSwati. Driving me 40km to work each way everyday has also been keeping him busy and when he arrives to get me in the afternoons he usually ends up giving some of the children motorbike rides too. Arlyn has also been trying to get to know some of the children in the community where the building is taking place.

I have been busy with preschool, learning all about the 10 plagues that God sent to free His people from Pharaoh’s rule in Egypt, different colours, numbers and letters. I’ve really been enjoying my time with the children there and love getting to know them better. Like many Swazi children they speak siSwati but their schooling is done through English. It’s been fun hearing their English improve and one of the little girls from the local community has learnt so much in a short time. Whenever I ask her to repeat something she always says, “tank you Auntie Maria” because she knows how much I love to hear “please” and “thank you”! The children are also learning to be a little more patient and grateful to each other and when it’s someone’s turn to go on the swing they usually remember to say “thanks for sharing” to the person who went before them.

Even though I feel like I should be the one helping the children I have had so many wonderful opportunities where they have been helpful to me. Each week the children learn a new memory verse and recently they have learnt Matthew 19:26 “with man it is impossible but with God all things are possible”. When I’ve been worried about the land issues, worried about financial stuff, worried about where we are going to live here and how we’ll afford it, worried about how we can be best used here, worried about too many stupid things that I can’t control and don’t need to control I think of their little voices and the excitement in their faces as they recite their memory verse while doing actions to it. When they children say, “all things are possible” they stretch out their little hands as far as they can and then give huge thumbs up with big smiles on their faces. I’m the one that’s supposed to be the grown up, I’m supposed to be teaching them but instead they have been reminding me that I am not in control and that God is and I am so thankful that “with God all things are possible”. He will use Arlyn and I, for His glory here, if that is His will, God will sort out the land issues, God will provide for us, I just need to have the faith of a child and believe.

The children also reminded me of God’s goodness during “thanksgiving time;” each afternoon the children come together and pray, thanking God for His blessings that day. It is so sweet to listen to their little voices as they say what they are thankful for. Often they will start with “thank you Jesus for loving me” and recall some of their favourite things from the day such as eating a special treat, playing with something or having a loved one come and visit. Recently when one of the 2.5 year olds was praying she was getting some coaching from a 4 year old who told her to thank God for Auntie Maria “who is SO blessed”. I was humbled once again when it took a 4 year old to remind me just how blessed I am.

I really enjoy my time at the children’s home; they were short staffed for a while in March and I felt honoured to be able to help fill in the gap while they searched for new Swazi staff. I’d be lying if I said every day was easy, working with older children can be more challenging than working with Haitian babies, at times. Some days I long for naptime, when all the children, sleeping on their sponges and wrapped in blankets, look so calm and peaceful.


 These children are active, they have over come more in their short lives than I can even begin to comprehend. The pain that they struggle with causes them to act out at times but they are healing and they are loved. The preschool is so bright and colourful it really is a joyful place.



I especially enjoy spending time with some of the younger ones whose enthusiasm for life is similar to their colouring when they try to fill a page with as much colour as possible, as quickly as possible, and are not yet bothered with staying inside the lines or with what colour I think things are supposed to be.


The younger ones have also been showing me how to tie baby dolls on their backs so they can play “house” and imitate their African traditions. They’ve been attempting to teach me siSwati but I’ve been failing. Unfortunately I haven’t failed at getting ringworm though and for the first time in my life I have it on my face!

Usually in the afternoons some of the primary school boys will start to hang around in the preschool waiting for Arlyn or Dan to come and pick me up. They are fascinated with motorbikes and wait in hope of being taken for a quick ride around the property. When the preschool children hear the motorbike coming they begin jumping up and down with excitement and start shouting; “Auntie Maria your husband is here” or “Auntie Maria your family is here”.

During the middle of March we also got to celebrate St Patrick’s Day, where I celebrate my Irishness and Arlyn celebrates his wanting to be Irishness! March 17th also marked one year since we left Haiti. One whole year since my feet have touched Haitian soil, one whole year since I’ve spent time with some of the people I love, one whole year since I’ve gotten to hug some wonderful babies, one whole year since I’ve joined the nannies for prayer and singing time. One whole year, 365 days and I still miss it. So much has changed in this past year and I’m thankful for it, I’m thankful for my time in Haiti and the relationships I developed while I was there, thankful for the experiences I had and for the beautiful Haitian people I got to know and love and especially thankful for God’s faithfulness.

Goodbye March also means hello African winter and I know I cant complain when there’s still snow on Arlyn’s parents yard but it has been getting colder here too. Not snow cold but cold enough to need a few layers of clothes when we drive the motorbike to the children’s home, cold enough to need blankets on our bed and cold enough that I ‘ve been covered in goose bumps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment